Saturday, October 5, 2013

BLOGTOBER FEST 2013 DAY 5

Playing 101

In a couple of weeks I am teaching
Watercolor  crayons
&
free motion sewing
a class to my ASG Special Interest Group. I will introduce them to some basic color techniques I have 
learned over the past few year Nothing is very difficult it is just a matter of trying it out. If it works great and if not you have learned a valuable lesson any way. 

The first thing  they will try is  coloring on fabric with watersoluble crayons and using a wet brush turn it into a painting. Details can be added with permanent markers or free motion sewing. The images can be free hand or traced from a coloring book. 





After that they will use dyes or inks and Aloe Vera gel, available cheaply at Walmart. 






Just mix the two together and use with a brush to get a nice effect on fabric or to freshen up a well worn look such as this bag which I love. It is made in the USA from Stone Mountain GA...Originally it was a neutral color of canvas but over the years it got dingy. This technique was a perfect fix. 



The design was drawn on free hand then colored in using a brush and the the gel mixed with Tsukineko ink.








They will have the opportunity to try a resist using the kids school glue. When applied and left to dry you can then color in the open areas with a dye or ink and not have to worry if it is going to bleed through to the adjoining area

The glue needs to dry so it will act as a resist so I will make up samples beforehand so they can try it out. 


This sample with the faces is done this way. 


There are so many fun things to do with materials that are inexpensive and readily available. Here is an example of what you can do with ordinary crayons and fabric...This is one of the panels from a wall hanging I am working on. The image was traced on with pencil, then over drawn with permanent Micron Pen and the colored using Crayola brand crayons. Not all crayons are created equal so if you want to try it make sure to have quality ones. . 

All that is left for me to do is get all the materials and samples together.






5 comments:

  1. Hello from a fellow Blogtoberfester, I loved reading your post, and I'm adding you to my bloglovin so I can follow your blog in future
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your art is amazing. I just wish I was coming to your classes. Visiting from Blogtoberfest

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darlene - you are amazing and inspiring! I love your artwork and your style!!! Thank you for sharing your art with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was showing Joe your blog and re-reading and I realized I had a question - On the top panels that you are coloring - what type of fabric are you starting with? I am so inspired by this blog and the materials you are using!!! Still smiling :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Darlene on picking up some other readers! What you do and the way you explain it is just amazing. You have a talent to find wonderful things to do and you can describe it both in photos and words. Wow!

    ReplyDelete